Top 10 Reasons Darrell Issa Has To Go!!
10. Issa voted yes in May for the House Republicans' bill to repeal and replace Obamacare, which, according to the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office, would have led to tens of millions of Americans losing their health insurance. Adding salt to the wound, Issa may have cast the deciding 216th "yea" vote, putting the bill over the top on a very close tally. In the days leading up to the vote, and at Town Halls, Issa said he was undecided. When reporters asked him how he would vote, he responded, "None of your business."
9. In explanation for his decision to oppose a bill to fund health care for Sept. 11 first responders, Issa said the worst terrorist attack ever on U.S. soil was basically just a plane crash.
8. As one of the richest members of Congress, Issa stands to personally benefit from the Republicans' tax cut bill now working its way through the House. While Issa has said he supports tax reform in general, he recently came out against the House GOP tax proposal in its current form. But we won't know for sure where he stands until the final vote is cast.
7. What does Darrell really think of his constituents who protest his positions on important issues? Well, this is what he told the L.A. Times in June, regarding protesters at an Irvine Flag Day celebration: "They’re pathetic. There were almost none. There’s a couple million people in the surrounding communities and to have those few tells you the real momentum of this movement has really died. The same has been happening at our office where they come every Tuesday. There’s less every week." In fact, more than 600 protesters showed up at Mr. Issa's office on Halloween. Maybe Darrell's as good at determining crowd sizes as his buddy, Donald Trump.
6. Where does Darrell stand on women's reproductive health? His voting record on abortion-related issues was rated at 0 percent by NARAL Pro-Choice America, and 80 percent by the National Right to Life Committee. Just this fall, he voted yes on a Republican bill to ban abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy.
5. Although he's of Arab-American heritage, he's pretty tough on immigrants, especially those who are undocumented. In June, he voted for a bill that penalizes states and municipalities for having "sanctuary" laws on immigration. (However, his stance on the Dream Act, a bi-partisan bill that would give legal status who came to the U.S. illegally as children, may be softening, according to a Nov. 9 U-T article.)
4. He's kinda shifty. At his Town Hall in Oceanside in March, he said he opposed efforts by the GOP to defund Planned Parenthood. Then he voted in May (as noted above) for the GOP American Health Care Act of 2017. Which would have defunded Planned Parenthood.
3. Remember the hearings Darrell chaired in 2012, regarding contraceptive coverage in the face of religious objections by employers? There were zero women among the first group of witnesses called to testify. 'Nuff said.
2. In 2010, Darrell told Rush Limbaugh that Barack Obama was "one of the most corrupt presidents in modern times." Really? Then where would he rank Donald Trump on that list, a man under investigation for ties to Vladimir Putin and Russia? Guess when it's a Republican, the standards are different.... (See No. 1 below).
1. Votes with Donald Trump 98 percent of the time!